Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Walk=Money=Cure for ALS

I will be joining members of Magnolia Lutheran Church, participating in the Walk to Defeat ALS. The walk will take place in Seattle on September 27, 2008. The ALS.org website says every 90 minutes someone in this country is diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), also called "Lou Gehrig's Disease" , and every 90 minutes another person will lose their battle against this disease. ALS affected my church when our Pastor Doug died slowly from the degeneration of his muscles. He showed us all grace through his death and by fundraising the strength that came through his grace can reach others with this disease and their families.
The money raised goes towards patient services and research.
I will be placing a donation envelope in the Comparative History of Ideas office, B-102 Padelford Hall Box 354300, University of Washington Seattle, WA 98195 . Please send donations there and please supply your name and full address.
The ALS walk and I:
To tell you the truth, I wasn't sure I could raise any money in a short amount of time. Not to mention, I am grossly out of shape, and that I don't even know how long the walk is. That aside, a deadly combo of a strong will/ideals and being a CHID-ster, I wanted to participate on my own principles. A principle that a sincere effort, no matter how small can make a difference. That means that even though I could sit in front of the boob tube and watch the DNC all day and night, I could find a handful of minutes to pick up a donation envelope and write an email or two. Even that minute amount of pushing my self, would do some sort of good. At least I am adding to the group (power in numbers right?) An even greater plus, is that by pleading for money, people will learn about ALS. And as we all know learning has no bounds, so I am sure this information will do good somewhere in the world. Maybe it will be like a positive bastardization of entropy ( a law that states that order creates disorder somewhere else in the Universe). Take that how you will.
Amie

No comments: