Saturday, January 10, 2009

workin' 9-5 what a way to make a livin'

* My work space. Note, it is fully equipped with Obento made by manager's mom, hashi(chopsticks), camel back water bottle, and ipod. All the necessities in life I'd say.



* The picture below in my student Chi Chan.





My first week back after winter vacation and I am beat. And broke. It's not bad, but I am anal retentive and I plan things out. I want to go to Thailand during golden week so I am saving up for that too. You could say my brokeness is due to my priorities. All it really means is that I am board. Although, I am learning a lot about Japanese culture through the boob tube!
Usually on my days off I bicycle somewhere. I haven't headed north east. I might head that direction today. I also rent cds. That's right, I said rent. I burn um and enjoy. It's like buying 5 cds for 10 bucks, but its in yen so take of 50 cents. On Mondays, I have Japanese lessons. I might have to give it up for a month or so, till I get a little more pocket change. Keiko Sensei is great, she is a student of mine who works at Nova as a cram school teacher. She usually makes me dinner too!
I digress, one of my co-workers got sick and was subsequently fired. So, I took over part of her class load. The new year also brought me a new schedule that was tougher than my previous one. Also, every other week I have 2 extra classes. Oh, and I have been having to do interviews with prospective students lately. My daily schedule is as follows: wake up at get ready for work. Go to work. Stay there for 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours. Go home. Eat ramen. Sleep.I do have to say that my co-workers are great. What would I do without them! I can't wait till April when the school year starts. My class load so straighten out some. BTW, Amie wont be having kids now. No, don't like um. They are kinda cute, but I don't want to deal with them.
They economy is also bad here. There is a saying when America coughs Japan gets a cold. As, the foreign teacher, I should work harder, keep my customers (not students), and be more business savvy. All of which I ignore when I am at meetings, cuz I can't get fired and I am working my tail off. Now, if the head office would quit spying on me. Other than that I am getting used to this teaching gig. Please pray that my students are actually learning. I'll try to get work pictures up.
As a side note, which is random. I miss chocolate. The Japanese quality is awful!


* This hilarious video is of one of our students who does magic tricks for us after class.

2 comments:

Charlene said...

whatchu mean you won't have kids now?

Unknown said...

hey girly!! love the blog!!! I love looking at the Shimiz pics...I miss home...anyhoo I'll be coming back soon...I saw you plan to leave Japan in April though, I'm sorry things didnt work out for you. It took a lot a getting used to on my part too. but I dont know HOW IN THE WORLD YOU MANAGED TO GET RID OF THE KIDS!!!!! That's powerful..hahahha