Sunday, March 29, 2009

Japanese Arachnids

Spiders kirai!
Totemo kowaii da ne.
Yet, Japanese spiders are kinda interesting.

I met this brown one when I snuck into a temple
I guess both of these spiders are quite harmless. The bright colored one is really common. Infact, one laid eggs on my neighbors ledge. I am glad it didn't hatch while I was in the apt. I am sure it will soon though! The brown on eats cacaroaches. Yes, it is really big and kinda looks like a tarantula(is that how you spell it?)
I have heard randomly, but with out much explanation that the Japanese believe spiders to be good luck. I tried to kill one in art class one time, but my friend Tomoko chided me for it. But her reason for not killing wasn't convincing.
After quite the mystic encounter with a gargantuan arachnid, I thought ask why spiders are good luck to Asami and Shiho sensei. Ok, ready? And the answer is: that at night spiders are the souls of our dead ancestors. (or that they inhabit spiders?) Therefore, you can't kill the suckers at night. They are fair game in the day! Bwahahaha! Die! But, what if you kill a spider in the day time? Does your ancestors' spirit have no place to go if there aren't enough spiders? Does that mean that our ancestors spend more time in fields wishing they picked the spider closer to their relatives place? Wakaranai, but luckily I am Christian and don't have to worry about that dogma.

1 comment:

hellwillsing said...

anata wa nihonjin desuka?