Saturday, February 14, 2009

Your weekly update

This was Valentines week. On Monday after my Japanese lessons, I went to the Fujieda school manager's house , with their FT Brianna and our Japanese language teacher, to make cookies for our students. Yes, that means enough for two schools. I think we made over a hundred cookies. We made peanut butter and sugar cookies. I don't think anyone at my school is capable of domestic work except for Asami. She's great! I'll post separate about her later. It was a mess! Totally fun! Our Japanese teacher thought everything was too sweet and could barley finish a single cookie! Whaaa? In Japan it is difficult to find a mixer or an oven. Well, there are toaster ovens. But lets just say those are only good for heating things up that taste good burnt. Keiko our Japanese teacher brought ingredients to make gyoza. Delish!
My students were really happy to receive sweets. I gave the junior high boys crap about it yesterday. You see, in Japan Valentines day is for men and there is a separate day when girls get things from boys. It's called Whiteday. I told them they all owed me now! One boys said "but I don't have any money!" Fabulous.
This week I also decided to paint my nails Japanese style. That means gawdy. I love it but, it was a serious pain. They really go all out for nail fashion. Lots of applique.
Last note. My students behaved really well this week, so I actually felt like taking pictures with them. Well, the girl wearing pink is always great. She likes singing and we read some good books together like Frog and Toad. She really did well on her Jr. STEP test. Not because of me though. She's one smart little cookie!













1 comment:

Brianna said...

Yeah, cookies! That was a lot of fun! We finally finished the ones we took to Fujieda school and our students loved them. We need to do that again soon sometime, but maybe we can make something new and not as sweet for poor Keiko!
See you tomorrow!